Helping Someone Enroll
We understand that the Medicare process can be a confusing one. If a friend or family member has asked for your assistance in choosing a Medicare plan, we’re here to help. Just follow the steps below to learn about the process for enrolling in MediGold and how you can help your friend or relative choose the plan that’s best for them.
Step 1: Confirm eligibility for Medicare.
If the person you’re helping is new to Medicare (generally, if they’re turning 65), you’ll need to confirm their eligibility for Medicare Part A and Part B first. You can learn more about this in How to Join Medicare.
Step 2: Know the Medicare plan options.
Medicare beneficiaries can receive their Medicare benefits several ways. Learn about the different parts of Medicare, as well as alternatives to Original Medicare, in About Medicare.
Step 3: Select a Medicare plan.
If receiving Medicare benefits through a Medicare Advantage plan, like MediGold, sounds like the best value, you’ll need to help your friend or relative choose which plan is best for them.
When choosing a Medicare Advantage plan, compare the following features:
- Maximum Out-of-Pocket amount(this is the most any plan member will pay out-of-pocket for covered services in a calendar year).
- Deductibles (the amount a plan member must pay before their benefits go into effect). MediGold plans have no deductibles – benefits begin on the first day of coverage!
- Monthly premiums.
- Drug coverage.Most MediGold plans include Part D drug coverage, though Medical Only (HMO) does not include drug coverage and is a great option for those who receive drug benefits from another source (employer/union, VA, etc.).
- Plan ratings.The Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services (CMS) rates plans each year on their performance in several categories. MediGold has consistently earned high ratings for things like customer satisfaction and overall health plan quality. Learn more about our Awards & Ratings.
If your friend or relative is choosing a Medicare plan with drug coverage, it can be helpful to estimate the monthly drug costs associated with each plan you’re considering. Use our Drug Finder tool to locate medications in our Formulary (drug list) and estimate the copays for each of our plans.
Step 4: Enroll.
Once you’ve compared plan options and helped your friend or relative decide on the plan that’s best for them, it’s time to enroll. See When to Enroll to make sure your friend or relative is applying during an approved enrollment period, then they can complete an enrollment form in one of the following ways:
- Online, using our Online Enrollment Form.
- By phone, 1-800-964-4525 (TTY 711), 8 a.m. – 8 p.m., 7 days a week
- Complete a paper copy and mail it to MediGold. Ask Member Services for a copy of the form.
Last Updated 12/13/2012 10:09:28 AM